Stromberg Carb Leak

To: Graham McMicken <g.mcmicken@shaw.ca>
Subject: Stromberg Carb Leak
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 10:18:12 -0400
Cc: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Graham McMicken
>I was recently fiddling with my throttle linkage to get full travel
when I came across a leak from the carbs. The problem
is they are constantly leaking from the bottom, should this be?
It is leaking from the circular button on the bottom. They arn't tight,
I can turn them, but they are not threaded. This is the cause for my
garage always smelling like gas, and near a gas hot water heater, well
you can see why I want to fix it :)
<

Yes it is.  The hole in the float bowl was origianlly for the jet adjuster
but the later model carbs have fixed jets and there is no longer a need for
this hole.  It was retained anyway (tooling costs money) and the early TR6
carbs had a screw-in plug and the later ones had the snap-in plug you have.
 These are sealed with an O-ring (commonly included in carb rebuild kits).
You can pop the plug out with a small screw driver working from side to
side to ensure it comes out straight, change out the O-ring and pop it back
in.

A longer term solution is to find some Z-S carbs in the yard from a late
model MGB or TR7/TR8 which has a float bowl without the cast in hole and
fix it for good.

Cheers

Dave Massey
57 TR3