RE: Rear Main Seal Fix TR3A - ?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rear Main Seal Fix TR3A - ?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 22:52:10 -0700 n et>
> I've confirmed a pretty heavy leak in the differential where the drive
> shaft enters it.  My questions are how easy is this to fix? Can I do it
> without dropping the rear end?  Do I need any special tools, i.e. a press?
> And which parts will I need to replace...just the oil seal or more?

Skip, it's been a long time since I've done this, so this may not be
entirely accurate.

It can be done with the axle in the car.  ISTR I just unbolted the
driveshaft and pushed (or tied) it out of the way.  Remove the cotter pin
and undo the big nut inside the flange.  It's probably best to use a puller
to remove the flange, but ISTR I just rapped on alternating ears with a BFH
and walked it off.  I used the 'T' style seal puller to pop the old seal
out, and a hammer to tap the new one into place (after smearing grease onto
the seal lip, and Permatex around the outside rim).

The seal rides on the flange, the surface where it rides needs to be smooth
for it to seal.  If it's only lightly scored, you may be able to dress it up
with some crocus cloth.  But, if it's deep enough to catch a fingernail in,
you'll probably need to either put a Speedi-Sleeve on it, or get another
flange.  Try NAPA for a Speedi-sleeve.

The bolts through the flanges are special bolts, don't substitute with
hardware store stuff.  But do replace the nyloc nuts.

Randall