Re: Rear Brake Cylinders

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Brake Cylinders
From: The Juice of One Lemon <sdaniels@gorge.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 22:33:38 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 23:29:43 -0500, "Phil Ethier"
<pethier@isd.net> wrote:

> [...]

Yes, but the increased braking power will be worth it.  In my
most humble opinion.

When I removed the master cylinder for rebuilding/replacement,
the aft brake line had no fluid in it.  I don't know how badly
things have to be messed up to have that happen, but there you
are.  I have to assume that there has been no fluid going to the
rear brakes since I got the car a year ago, and that every stop
I've made has been on the front brakes only.

I haven't checked, but I suspect that the rear cylinders have
been rusted into place.  With no fluid being sent to them I'm
sure the seals have dried out to the point of no return, and they
are due for at least a total rebuild.

A lister has contacted me and offered a new set of .75s for a
very good price, half of what TRF would charge, including
shipping.  I'll have the drums turned and call it good, assuming
that the shoes are in good shape.  If they aren't, I'll replace
them with regular comp shoes, and put semi-metallics on the
front.  For in the front I have planned . . .

The Toyota two piston caliper conversion.  I imagine this will
increase the pedal travel a bit as well, but when they start to
come on, I'll bet I have some pretty good brakes.

>and also bias the rear brakes more heavily.  Do your
>fronts always lock first now?

I don't think I've ever had the brakes locked up on this car.  I
don't drive all that aggressively, and after finding out what
lies beneath my stop pedal, that's probably a good thing.