RE: TR3a Fuel Gauge mystery solved

To: "Triumphs@Autox Net (E-mail)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3a Fuel Gauge mystery solved
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 13:33:17 -0700
> Put it all back together and tried again, this time she read 1/4 tank woo
> hoo.....  But, the tank is almost full, so I figure the coils are
> still out
> of alignment.  Looking at the back of the gauge, the coil under the "B"
> terminal is now about 1/64" higher than the other one.
>
> I am assuming both coils should be about the same distance from
> the armature
> to provide a consistant magnetic field?

I believe the coil adjustment actually provides for gage calibration, equal
distances from the armature isn't necessarily right.

>  I will bench test this
> so ISTR the
> resistance of the fuel sender, 55-85ohms?

Sorry, I don't recall the exact information offhand.  But, ISTR the manual
states that 0 should read empty, and full is somewhat higher, perhaps around
120 ohms.  (The test procedure says to open the connection to check for
full, but of course that isn't the way the sender works.)  IMO the best way
to handle this is to measure your sender, and match the gage to it.

BTW, mounting the gage into the panel may change it's calibration very
slightly.

Randall