RE: TR3 Steering installation question

To: "Pat Leask" <pleask@shaw.ca>, "TRlist" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3 Steering installation question
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 22:30:31 -0700
> 1. Install Stator tube

Good start, assuming the steering column and wheel are all assembled, and
the steering box has been adjusted.  Don't forget the little "anti-rattle"
springs on the stator tube, if you have them.

> 2. Fee horn wires down it (fish wire ?)

I would first assemble the 'gland' (aka compression sleeve) and nut onto the
steering box, but only finger tight at this point.

I use a length of 'baling' wire, with a single turn around the electrical
wires above the uppermost bullet connector.  You can add a little tape to
hold the bullets to the baling wire, but I didn't find it necessary.

> 3. Place the compression sleeve over wires and on stator tube
> 4. Place nut on steering box to compress the stator tube ring and tighten

Center the steering wheel, put the control head into place, being sure to
have the turn signal mechanism centered.  I usually go ahead and connect the
electrical stuff at this point, and test it.  Now you can tighten the nut
(but don't get carried away).  Also tighten the three grub screws in the
steering wheel before turning it any.

> 5. Fill steering tube with Oil... BUT what kind of oil and how much ?

90 weight gear oil (I use Valvoline 80W90 synthetic).  Don't know the exact
amount offhand, a pint perhaps, but fill to the level of the filler plug in
the column.

> I have a felt (if I can find it....) bushing, does it go on
> before or after the Stator tube goes in ?

The only felt I can think of is for the upper end of the steering column, it
has to go in before you install the inner column, which comes before the
stator tube.

> Any pit falls or things I should know about never having done
> this before ?

It's actually pretty easy, and not too hard to redo if necessary.

> Does the Stator tube get positioned in some way other than just
> sitting there ?

The stator tube is what holds the control head in position.  It determines
what direction the turn signal lever points (which should be straight up in
the center position).

Randall