UV dye for leak tracing diff oil

To: triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: UV dye for leak tracing diff oil
From: aribert <aribert@c3net.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 22:57:25 -0400
I need to do some leak tracing.  I finally solved my engine timing
cover/crank seal leak issue (appears to have leaked past the threads of
one of the timing cover mtg bolts (one of several that are thru holes
thru the block).  I used gasket sealant on the threads and special
washers with an integral rubber seal on the washer ID - bought from
McMaster-Carr.

Where I need to trace a leak is in the mid '90s Miata diff that I am now
running in my Spit bodied GT6 (now with real CV joints instead of the
Rotoflexes); very similiar to GRM mag Ro-Spit project car .  I am using
Redline 75w90 synth gear oil.  I never expected the diff to leak -
especially since I replaced all three oil seals and used RTV with a
upholstry thread as crush spacer on the diff to housing surface.  My
wife says the British (therefore must leak) vehicle karma is
overpowering the late model Jap component.

Here is my question:  My local NAPA sells UV dye for engine oil and
coolant and trans (auto) fluid.  There apparently is no listing for gear
oil dye.  Does anyone know of a source of dye that is intended for gear
oil or can I use the dye intended for engine oil?  I am hesitant to use
the dye for engine oil for fear of diluting the gear oil properties.