Re: Recommendations on replacement Top

Subject: Re: Recommendations on replacement Top
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 11:42:46 -0700
>    Once it was connected to the rear rail and placed on the car,
>2 problems became immediately apparent: 1) The top was too long
>from the rear rail up to where the rear bow is (if you attached
>the snaps at the rear bow to the rear top bow, the rear window
>sagged), and 2) the sides of the top were way too short (there
>was a gap between the side of the door glass and the top itself
>on both sides).  Also, the vinyl area between the rear window
>and the 3/4 windows was considerably narrower than the top we
>removed - so much so that the straps showed through the 3/4
>windows!

Dennis:

First of all I should point out that I have never personally
installed a convertible top on ANY car, much less a TR6, so take that
into account while you consider my suggestion carefully:

There is a photo on page 93 of Practical Classics & Car Restorer's
Triumph TR6 Restoration Manual which clearly shows quite a bit of
excess vinyl hanging over well beyond the header rail, which
apparently later gets folded over and trimmed, etc. I'm wondering if
there wasn't a similar amount of excess vinyl (presumably to allow
for dimensional differences between cars) at the rear deck rail as
well.

If this is the case - and it's a big 'IF' - it may be that the proper
way to install the vinyl and have it come out fitting correctly
between the rear deck rail and the rearmost hoop over the rear window
would be to fasten the snaps inside to that rearmost hoop and THEN
fasten the vinyl to the rear deck rail and trim off the excess vinyl.
(Or some rough approximation like that, you get the idea. Since I've
never done the work, I'm sure I don't have the details right.)

Could it possibly be that the shop is actually responsible for
installing the top incorrectly?

Can anyone else offer any experience that would help clear this up?
Am I all wet, or what?

--
Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6