Triumph to the mountains!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Triumph to the mountains!
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 18:09:00 -0400
No boring technical stuff in this note.  Nothing about side-screens,
oil filters, TR6 brakes, etc.  Just pure "drivin' it" fluff.

We took the GT6 up to the White Mountains this past weekend, to a
campsite at the Lafayette Campground in Franconia Notch State Park,
about 2 1/2 hours from our house near Boston.  We considered taking
the spacious air-conditioned minivan, and when the time came to load
up the car we chose the (ahem) heat and noise option.  Packing was
interesting.  The main challenge was squeezing everything around a
big blue cooler which Sharon insisted was essential for our survival.
 Lo and behold, everything fit and still left space to leave the rear
view mirror functional.

The temperature was up around 90 deg F when we left home Saturday
afternoon but it felt like 150 on the road surface.  Rt 128 was an
oven.  So we opened up all the windows and vents and kept cool the
old-fashioned way.  The big six had no trouble keeping up with
traffic, and though the temp gauge crept well up past halfway, it
never got close to the marked red zone.

A bright red and chrome, obviously old and still shapely sportscar
attracts attention on the road.  We stayed near legal speeds for most
of the trip, so cars kept zipping by on our left.  Umm, honest, I was
just trying to keep the engine temp down!  In almost every car the
person in the passenger's seat would swivel her head around with a
big grin that said "I wish I was riding with him."  Yeah, right!
Sharon and I agreed that they could afford to think that while they
towered several feet above us going 10 mph faster in air-conditioned
SUV comfort.  I'm sure their 20-to-30-something husbands/boyfriends
had different opinions, epecially after they'd just mailed in their
1748th car payment. :-)

The mountain experience was pretty much what we expected.  The GT6
climbed Franconia Notch with no trouble.  Unpacking was easy and the
hatch made it a good camp-out-of vehicle, if a bit small.  A nearby
campsite was inhabited by two elderly couples.  We had been set up
for less than an hour when one of the gentlemen came over and asked
what kind of car it was.  They'd guessed maybe a Datsun (thinking the
240Z?).  How quickly we forget.

The next day we climbed up North Kinsman Peak, a pleasant but
demanding hike, especially in the heat.  (The two of us consumed six
liters of water.  Yes, we carried it.  Also lunch and first-aid
stuff, etc.  I can never understand folks who embark on long hikes
with just a pint of water and a sandwich.)  When we got back down we
found the campsite adjacent to ours had been taken over by two young
couples.  I hadn't even taken my boots off when they came over to ask
about the car.  They were from Montreal, knew about TR6's of course,
but had never heard of a GT6.  They especially liked the swoopy front
end and the power bulge on the bonnet.  And they'd wondered how we
had gotten all our gear inside.

After a quick bite of dinner we packed up and headed home.  The drive
was uneventful, noisy and warm but not too hot.  We listened to the
Red Sox beat the Rangers whenever a good AM radio station was close
enough.  Arrived home about 11:30 PM.  After a good night's sleep I
think I've almost restored my body's electrolyte balance.  We'd do it
again too, but maybe hope for cooler temperatures!

Yours in Triumph motoring,--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com
'80 Spitfire, '70 GT6+