She runs!

To: tr list list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: She runs!
From: Darrell Walker <darrellw@inetarena.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 16:23:02 -0700
Nearly three months after starting to tear the engine down in my 66 TR4A,
this afternoon I fired it up for the first time.  I had hoped to fire it up
last weekend, but due to having pneumonia for the last week and a half my
progress was slowed.  Finally yesterday I was to the point of just needing
to bolt up the carbs, install the radiator and cooling hoses, and plumb new
fuel lines.  The first few tasks went well, but when I connected the fuel
line to the input of the pump, I had a serious leak from the sediment bowl.

Discouraged, I clamped the line off and when to do something else.  I
figured I would need to order a new gasket, which would set me back a few
days.  So I decided to straighten up the garage a bit, one thing to do was
to organize by big bunch-o-gaskets.  This is a collection of gaskets going
back to when I first got the car (1981), and lo and behold, I found a new
gasket for the sediment bowl, and was still nice a soft!

So this morning I installed the new gasket, and hit the starter.  And the
old battery, which had enough umph to crank it over without compression,
could only turn the engine over a time or two.  So off to the store for a
new battery, then to take the kids to see "Master of Disguise".  Then back
to the garage.  I loosely installed the rest of the exhaust system, then hit
the starter again.  The new battery cranked the engine over much better, but
there was no sign of life.  So I started checking things, and noticed that
the choke wasn't fully engaged.  Fixed that, only to find that with the
choke on all the way, the engine would turn over twice and "lock".  If I
pushed the choke off, it would crank, but not fire.

So back to checking things.  It was clear I was getting fuel, so time to
check the ignition.  Had power to the coil, and was getting a spark.  So
double-checked the timing, found it waaaay out.  Turns out I set it on the
closing of the points (or opening, what ever the wrong way is!).  Turning
the distributor about an 1/8 of a rotation counter-clock wise got things
properly timed.

Back on the starter, but still nothing.  Remember that I had the choke back
off, so pulled it back on, and YES!, it started right up!  Didn't see any
signs of fluif leaks, big clouds of smoke off of the exhaust system as the
paint/hand prints baked off.  Let it idle for about 5 minutes, did some
basic carb adjustments (needed 10 more flats to run without choke).

Still lots to do before I can drive it (like install the drive shaft, for
one!), but it is very rewarding to see that an engine you built yourself
actually runs!

Thanks to everyone on (and some off) the list who help with advise, support
and/or inspiration.

--
Darrell Walker
66 TR4A IRS