TR3 Hardtop Restoration

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Hardtop Restoration
From: bbrewer@qnet.com -bs
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 16:23:47 GMT
     My upcoming autumn project is restoration of my original factory steel
hardtop for my 1960 TR3A. I have some general questions that someone on the
list might help me with.

1. I saw a hardtop at the Ventura British car show that had steel bows
underneath to hold the headliner in. He used two, but said they only come with
one. Mine doesn't have any. Do any listers have any spare bows that they could
part with? If not, can someone tell me what they look like so I can make my own
repros?

2. I see that TRF has a hardware attachment kit. Does it include the chrome
pieces that fit over the cockpit cappings and the brackets between the hardtop
and these chrome pieces? What is in the attachment kit?

3. TRF sells headliners for the hartops that are biege. It won't match my black
interior/red exterior. It seems like it would be easy to have an upholstery
shop make a good headliner. Is there any reason why you wouldn't want to use
the felt/foil insulation between the hardtop and healiner? It seems like it
would make it easier to stay warm or cool.

4. Any caveats or BTDT lessons about hardtop restoration?

     I want to restore it before the snows come.
     TIA

     Bill Brewer
     1960 TR3A
     Tehachapi, CA