Re: Piston/ring orientation

To: darrellw@inetarena.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Piston/ring orientation
From: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 23:36:12 EDT
In a message dated 6/29/02 11:01:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
darrellw@inetarena.com writes:

<< Also, is
 there a recommended way to space the ring gaps?  I can't find any mention in
 Bently's or Hayne's. >>

Regardless of what the books say I space my rings as follows:

Three piece oil ring, bottom rail with the gap inline with the wrist pin.
expander gap 90* to the wrist pin, top rail 180* from the bottom rail.

middle compression ring, gap inline with the wrist pin and 180* from the top
oil ring rail.

Top compression ring, gap 180* from the middle ring.

I like to keep the ring gaps away from the piston skirt area of the bore to
reduce the chance of a scratched bore. The oil ring expander dosen't touch
the bore so location dosen't matter as long as it is not lined up with a rail
gap.

The rings do rotate a bit in their bores so don't be too concerend with exact
gap location.  Someday I'll build a motor with lined up gaps just to see if
it used oil.

Harold