RE: ZS-175 Carb adjustment question

To: <Davgil@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ZS-175 Carb adjustment question
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 17:59:55 -0700
> List,
>      My 1976 TR-6 has Zenith Stromberg 175-CD2 carbs that I am
> certain are
> running rich.

Have you checked the float level ?  Diaphragms ?  I believe by 1976 the
carbs were designed (by US law) to have a very limited range of mixture
adjustment, which did not include as rich as you describe.  Thus it seems
likely there is some other problem ...

> I have an adjustment tool that may or may not be the
> proper tool. It is composed of a cylinder that goes into the
> dashpot with a
> hex wrench through the cylinder.

That certainly sounds like the right tool.  BTW the reason you have to "hold
things in place" is to avoid tearing the diaphragm ...

> An additional question, if I may.  I took the opportunity to raise the
> cylinders in the carbs and both operate smoothly but there is
> noticeably more
> resistance on one than on the other.  I use the same oil in the dashpot
> (Black 3-in-1 oil) but I may have used a different viscosity at
> some time in
> one.  My first guess is that there is a difference in the oil and I would
> like to know what suggestions you could make for draining the oil and
> replacing it with the same oil.

The MityVac brake bleeding kit would probably work well.  Being a cheap
sort, and having all the bits at hand, I made a suitable suction 'cleaner'
from one of those vacuum pumps that HF sells for $8, a Mason jar, and some
lengths of tubing.  Works a treat, although I wish I'd used something a bit
less breakable.

Another solution for a 'one shot' deal would be to simply undo the screws,
lift the chamber off, and upend it to pour out the oil.  Be a good time to
check those diaphragms ...

Randall Young
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (currently sidelined for OD transplant)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver (Real Soon Now)