High quality source for TR6 cam and lifters

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: High quality source for TR6 cam and lifters
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 18:03:46 -0700
You may remember that I am doing an overhaul on my '74
TR6 engine. I'll know tomorrow, but the plan now is to
grind the crank to -.30, and harden the journals (it is
getting magnufluxed today).

But, for the cam and lifters (worn cam a couple pitted
lifters), I would like to pitch and replace with a high
quality stock profile cam (CA emissions here).

I have looked at Moss and VB:
             Cam          Lifters
Moss         334           72
VB           249           72

Not much difference in price, but for me Moss will be
an additional 8.25% higher due to LA+CA sales tax.

I'm really not worried about the price as much as I
want to put in high quality product.

I can have the machine shop harden the cam and lifters
as well, but it would be nice just to be able to buy a
high quality cam and lifter set for this engine (the
machine shop is very busy, so everything I add on to
them adds another week to the completion ETA).

I would appreciate hearing your recommendations, advice
and ad hoc experiences.

I also need a set of valves and springs, if you can
help out on them as well. I don't want to throw money
away, but I am more concerned about doing it right than
doing it economically.

thank you again,

doug
los angeles