RE: Relay wiring question

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Relay wiring question
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 12:00:18 -0700
> Pardon my ignorance, again, please.  I am trying to install an
> electric fan
> and I want to wire it up with a relay.  I got one from Pep Boys
> (I found it
> on the shelf for about $5.00 after buying a VW relay from NAPA for $15.  I
> think I'll return that today).

Bob, all relays are not created equal.  Are you sure what you got is
described as being suitable for a high power, high inrush application (like
driving lights or something) ?  My Pep Boys sells a "driving light wiring
kit" that includes the relay, socket, fuses, wire and even a switch
(although it's butt ugly) for about $15.

>  They both have 3 terminals and
> neither has a
> wiring diagram.  I am guessing that it goes like this:
>
> Relay:
> B- goes to a 12 volt source (In-line fuse goes on this wire)
> L- goes to the fan
> S- goes to the switch (I'm going to use a manual switch for now)

This sounds more like a 'flasher' relay, use to blink the turn signals and
hazard lights.  Definitely not what you want to use for your fan.  The
'normal' relay for a fan would have either 4 or 5 connectors, not just 3.

> Switch:
> t1 - goes to relay terminal S
> t2 - goes to ground

Generally, no.  The relay coil has to get power from somewhere, normally the
switch is wired into the ignition circuit (so the fan automatically shuts
off when you turn the key off).  There are special fan control relays that
take a control connection to ground, but they have more terminals and a
direct power feed.

Randall