RE: Update RE: Bad Fuel Pump?

To: "Marshall" <mkatnt@netscape.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Update RE: Bad Fuel Pump?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 19:02:59 -0700
> Taking some tips from the responses to this post I checked the
> following. Fuel was in my fuel tank, as well as the filters (both
> glass and non original in line fuel filter), I also checked the
> float bowls (the one at the furthest end of the fuel line) it too
> had fuel in it.

Marshall, having fuel in the sediment bowl and fuel filter doesn't mean
much, that will be true even if you ran out of gas.  Was the float bowl full
(ie top surface of the float within about 1/4" of the top of the bowl with
the cover off) ?  That would seem to indicate your problem is electrical.

> I tightened the spark plug connectors, they felt
> loose but the car  still will not turn over. Not that it's
> related, but the horn also died at the same time. Lights,
> directional etc. all work.

Take a spare spark plug, any kind (or use one from the engine if that's all
you have), connect a plug wire to it and lay it on something metal (like the
rocker cover).  Turn the key on, Crank the engine (using the button on the
solenoid) and watch the gap for a spark.  If you don't get one, then your
problem is ignition.

The coil is fed by a separate white wire from the fuse block, a break
anywhere in this wire, as well as an open or short in the wire from the coil
to the dizzy, could cause "no spark".  Probably a good place to start is to
connect a test light or voltmeter across the two low tension terminals on
the coil, and verify that the light comes on when the points open, and goes
out when the points close (key on of course).

Lots of things can go wrong here, systematic troubleshooting is the key to
finding them.

Randall