RE: Getting ready to installer wet liners soon

To: "tr list list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Getting ready to installer wet liners soon
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 22:23:07 -0700
> Q1:  Is there any reason to clean the water jacket beyond removing the
> rust/scale that comes out with heavy wire brushing?

Not that I know of.  The important cooling surface is the outside of the
liners (and inside the cylinder head).

> The next step seems to be to dry fit the figure 8 gaskets and liners, then
> to torque the head down, and to check the height of the liners above the
> deck.

AFAIK, there is no need to torque or clamp the liners down before or while
checking the height.

> Once the heights are OK, then I plan to brush Wellseal on the
> seats, on the
> gaskets and where the liners mate on the gaskets.

Personally, I would smear on whatever you use for sealing compound the first
time.  The Fig-8 gaskets are easily ruined when removing the liners.

> Q3:  Is Wellseal the best choice for this?

I don't know.  I've always used Permatex Aviation Form-a-gasket here, and
I've never had a leak.

> Then the head should be reinstalled (or should I use the liner clamps?).
>
> Q4:  If I use the head, should I allow the sealer to set before
> removing it,
> or just remove it and install the clamps?  Should the clamps be torqued
> down?

I just use the clamps (actually stacks of 1/2" drive sockets <g>), snugged
down but not really torqued, until I'm ready to install the head.  The
clamps are only necessary if you are turning the engine over (like
installing rod caps) with the head off.

Randall