Getting ready to installer wet liners soon

To: tr list list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Getting ready to installer wet liners soon
From: Darrell Walker <darrellw@inetarena.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 20:49:25 -0700
I'm finally to the point that stuff is starting to go back together in my
engine rebuild, the first thing is to install the wet liners.  I've read
lots about it (one the web and various books), and have a fair idea what I'm
going to do, but I still am looking for some advice.

So far I have cleaned out the water jacket area pretty well, and the liner
seats are clear of all the crud.  Nothing seems to interfere with the liners
seating.

Q1:  Is there any reason to clean the water jacket beyond removing the
rust/scale that comes out with heavy wire brushing?

The next step seems to be to dry fit the figure 8 gaskets and liners, then
to torque the head down, and to check the height of the liners above the
deck.

Q2:   Should I use a head gasket here?  My old one?  Won't the liners lift
up a bit when the head is removed?  Should I just use liner clamps to
compress?

Once the heights are OK, then I plan to brush Wellseal on the seats, on the
gaskets and where the liners mate on the gaskets.

Q3:  Is Wellseal the best choice for this?

Then the head should be reinstalled (or should I use the liner clamps?).

Q4:  If I use the head, should I allow the sealer to set before removing it,
or just remove it and install the clamps?  Should the clamps be torqued
down?

Thanks!

--
Darrell Walker