Re: TR3A Control Box Headache

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A Control Box Headache
From: RayAntoky@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:51:45 EDT
In a message dated 6/18/02 1:53:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ryoung@navcomtech.com writes:

> Ok, just because sometimes we overlook the obvious : Did you try to shake
> the generator on it's mounts ?  Double check the belt tension ?  Visually
> inspect the wires to be sure they are securely connected at both ends (tug
> on them a little) and not shorted to anything (including each other) ?

All check out

Figure out which direction your ammeter reads for discharge.  If nothing
else, turn the lights on with the engine off, and note which way the needle
deflects.

It was done properly apparently as it always registered a charge when it
should have and a discharge when the lights are pulled.

 Now remove the wire from the 'F' terminal at the control box, and
temporarily connect it to the 'D' terminal.  (BTW, a set of 'clip leads'
from Radio Shack is real handy for this sort of thing, I also recommend a
few of them to carry around with the meter.)  Start the engine, let it idle
(don't rev it up) and see if the red light goes out.

Does not.

 If it does, the
problem is very likely the control box (although the generator could
possibly still be bad).  If it doesn't, then try mashing the cutout contacts
closed as you did before and observing the ammeter and red light.

The light goes out and the ammeter goes completely negative. No charge, but
complete discharge?

 The red light should go out, if not then either the control box is really
bad, or
there's a problem in the wiring.  If the ammeter now reads charge, once
again the problem is likely to be the control box.  If still no charge (and
the light is out), then the generator, or the wires to it, are the most
likely suspects.

Wiring is a new harness in good shape. All was working until yesterday.

  If you get only a weak charge at this point, rev the
engine up to about 1500 rpm.  If the charge is still only a few amps, then
the generator is likely bad.

BTW when the car was charging properly the horn was always weak leading me to
believe the horns had a problem. With a full overnite charge they are
powerful and loud. Is this a clue?

Thanks to all and especially Randall, the most generous contributor with his
time and knowledge(please blush nicely for us, Randall).

Ray...
59TR3A
BRG CWW
TS74538