Re: Zenith Stromberg 175CD-2SE vs. 175CD-2SEV

To: <hfader@usa.net>, "'6pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Zenith Stromberg 175CD-2SE vs. 175CD-2SEV
From: "Nelson Riedel" <Nelson@BuckeyeTriumphs.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 07:59:28 -0400
. These are diferent
> from the stock 1972 175CD-2SE carbs in that they have a Float Chamber
> Emissions Port (>
> I am leery of emissions add-ons and troubles they may cause. Is there any
> particular reason I should prefer using the original carbs without the
float
> chamber emissions port? >

Hugh,

These carbs should work just fine on a pre '73 TR6.  The float chamber
emissions port is connected by a vent valve to the float chamber. When the
accelerator is opened, the vent valve closes the emissions port and opens a
passage from the float chamber to the air filter housing just as the pre '73
carb.  With the accelerator released, the valve connects the float chamer to
the port and on to the charcoal canister to catch the fumes when the engine
is off.  This connection is also used in conjuncion with the anti run-on
valve when the engine is shut off.

On the pre '73 engine I'd leave that port open -- this makes it work just
like the pre '73 carb.  If the port were plugged, the float chamber would be
sealed when idling and float chamber pressure (depression) would vary as the
float valve is opened and closed -- I'd think it'd cause rough idle.  I'll
try it later today on my '76.

On second thought, a better alternative may be to screw the adjustment screw
on the vent lever in as far as you can without restricting the amount the
throttle can be opened.  This should position the vent valve so that it is
open between the the float chamer and the air filter housing even at idle.
If you do this, you can then plug those emission ports to keep out debris.

Nelson Riedel
Granville, Ohio
'68TR250, '76TR6, '70TR6 (project)