Apple Hydraulics - rant - long

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Stag List <stag@digest.net>
Subject: Apple Hydraulics - rant - long
From: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 20:40:24 -0400
Recently, I sent the brake master cylinder from my Stag to Apple
hydraulics for a resleeving. The MC had a habit of eating the seals, due
to some pitting on the bottom of the cylinder bore.

The guy on the phone told me they could turn it around in 5 days, so I
sent it in.

3 weeks later, After a phone call, I got it back.

It doesn't work.

It won't hold pressure. The piston assembly is OK, I can drop it into
another MC (that also has pitting, so I can't use it), and it works
fine. Doesn't work in the resleeved one though.

I don't know what's wrong, it could be bored oversize, or leak
someplace, but you can actually hear it when you press on the pedal, and
the pedal goes to the floor with little resistance.

As you might guess, I'm more than a little upset. One of the reasons I
do so much of my own work is to avoid these kinds of situations, but
some things I can't do myself. It wouldn't have been as big a problem if
they had met the originally quoted turn around, but now I'm really hung
up. I managed to make the old MMC work for a couple of weeks with old
seals, but they got chewed last week.

I've emailed Apple tonight, since they're closed, and apprised them of
both the situation and my feelings.

When I hear something, I will let everyone know.

Or I can talk about the weather. :-)
--
George Richardson
Wyvern - '57 Triumph TR3, TS15559LT