Overdrive HELP!!

To: Richard Riddick <sonex188@epictn.com>
Subject: Overdrive HELP!!
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 20:32:43 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Richard Riddick
>       Not content to leave perfect alone, (DPO said he had 30wt
non-detergent oil
in OD), I proceed to change OD oil to recommended 90 wt gear oil, not gear
lube. Restart car, OD won't do anything. Loosen activating arm and push
adjusting arm full forward, still nothing. Moss says there might be air in
system. Loosen operating valve(above adjusting lever) to bleed air or oil.
Still nothing. Here is the big goof. With operating valve still loose to
bleed air, I push forward on adjusting lever to engage OD. Lever springs
forward past something internal approx. 90 degrees and wont come back to
original position no matter how much I plead.
        Someone please tell me that I wont have to disassemble trans/OD to
reset
adjusting lever.
<

Been there, done that.

No, you don't have to take the transmission apart, what you need is a good
parts picking magnet.  The operating lever pushes up a rod that lifts the
ball that provides oil to the operating cylinders.  Once the cam goes past
the rod, it drops down past the cam.  The rod has a hollow opening in the
top and if you can grab it with a magnet you can pull it up.  If you can't
grab it with a magnet find a drill bit that will fit in the hole.  When the
bit is in the hole wedge it in by angling it or twisting it to the side to
get a bite and pull up on the rid.  Or hold the magnet to the end of the
bit that will create a magnetic path down to the end of the bit that will
attract the steel rod.

Have patience and keep in mind that no matter how much time you spend
retrieving it this way it is still better than pulling the box apart.

One other thing, don't do it again.

Good luck

Dave