water pump

To: "Bernie" <bernd.vabeach@erols.com>
Subject: water pump
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 20:32:44 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Bernie"
>Once again I need to come to the list for advise concerning the
installation
of a water pump, this is the scenario,  a friend of mine owns a 1980
Spitfire
the water pump needs replacing , pretty straight forward so far, well here
is
the cliff hanger, I told my friend that after installation of the new water
pump to let the pump run dry for about a minute, to let it seat.
Today we had a tech session at my buddy's house and I happen to mention the
issue about letting the pump run dry in order to let it seat, well the
majority of the guy's there looked at me like I came from mars, the rest of
the troops  just politely told me that there was no reason to do that,
however, I do recall reading numerous postings on this list about letting
the
water pump run dry to seat it, please folks confirm my sanity level and
tell
me I'm right, I do so hate to be wrong all the time, I'm starting to
develop a
complex.
<

Bernie, I believe this technique is necessary when installing water pumps
in the old Vangard motors (TR2,3,4) which utilizes a graphite bearing.  The
more modern pumps use a rubber seal which does not require this step.  But
doing this has no deliterious effects so don't worry about it.

Cheers

Dave