RE: Engine work and passing CA smog

To: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Engine work and passing CA smog
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 20:26:49 -0700
> When I first bought my TR3A, I was so uninformed that the first thing I
> tried to do was get it smogged, thinking I had to do that to get it
> registered.  One guy at the station was even less informed, but he did go
> look in a book and tell me I wouldn't pass because the air
> cleaners weren't
> original.

Interesting.  I wonder if it was even a picture of a TR3A in his book ?

When I bought my current car, all cars had to be smogged when title was
transferred.  Back then, the inspection stations were run directly by the
state.  The technician had to ask me if the engine was original, to which I
answered 'Sure', even though it didn't have the original air cleaners (then
or now).  He also had to hand-enter the model in the computer (after asking
me what it was), it was apparently not in their database either.

BTW, my TR3A flunked that first inspection because it was too clean !  I had
to richen the carbs back up and go back before it passed with flying colors.

I don't believe the station I usually go to now even has a picture book,
I've watched him look things up and it's just tables.  Even the 'test only'
station I've been to the last few times hasn't spotted obvious modifications
like the aftermarket EGR valve my Chevy had.

Randall