Re: Engine work and passing CA smog

To: ZinkZ10C@aol.com
Subject: Re: Engine work and passing CA smog
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 19:25:15 -0700
Cc: steven@newellboys.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Harold,

Yes, you are 100% correct, but Triumph dropped the
compression ratio from 8.5 to 7.75 in 1972 (according
to Bentley), and even under the old ratings, the '72
USA TR6 was only produced 104 bhp compared to 111 bhp
for the USA TR250, and to 150 bhp for the PI versions
using the same measurement approaches.

I am not trying to argue a point here, but was trying
to suggest that a good deal of power is available with
increased compression ratios, different cams and better
induction.

I know we all know this, but what my but what spawned
my earlier post was a quest for a better engine that
will still pass smog.  I don't think I can fool around
too much with compression and cams, because that is the
first thing Triumph reduced in effort to get the old
tractor engine through smog tests. I probably need to
look at cleaner ports, balance and polishing to improve
efficiency.

Again, I am not disagreeing with you one bit, but even
using the same scales, the TR6 engine lost 1/3 of its
bhp from the PI version to the '72 USA version trying
to cope with the emissions issues.

doug