Re: tr 7 or 8

To: "Dave B. Hammond" <dbh@hamengr.com>
Subject: Re: tr 7 or 8
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 14:02:03 -0400
Cc: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Dave B. Hammond"
>Can anybody out there tell me what it takes to convert a tr 7 to a tr 8
besides another engine?
<

The differences between the TR7 and TR8 are as follows:

3.5 L V8 engine vs 2.0 L 4  (Duh!)
All the various misc engine stuff like air cleaners, hoses, etc.
Power steering rack
Front sub frame
Front sub frame spacers
Speedometer drive gear in transmission
3.08:1 rear axle ratio
Fuel tank with two openings, one for the fuel sender and one for the pump
Wire harness
wire harness guard panel (mounts under the carpet along the RH door and
covers the wire harness.  The TR7 wire harness to the rear is a flat,
ribbon cable whereas the TR8 has a conventional bundle)
Battery tray in boot (trunk)
Battery cable
Recalibrated tachometer
exhaust system
Decals (transfers)
Steering wheel
Radiator, radiator mounts cooling fans hoses etc.

I'm sure I left out something but these are the high points.  It would take
a tremendous effort to take a TR7 and locate and add all these parts to
make a "phoney" TR8.  The factory did a bit more than just shove a V8 into
a TR7.

But an engine conversion need not entail all these parts.  The V8 doesn't
weigh much more (if any ) than the TR7 engine and it will steer the same.
You can live with the 3.9:1 rear axle or swap it out for some of the others
used over the years. You can mount an external fuel pump and still use the
TR7 tank.  After market fans work just as well as the factory and are a
little more cumbersom to mount.

The Tach will read wrong but it can be recalibrated.  Axle changes will
throw off the speedometer.  Other little details will have to be dealt with
- as with any engine swap.

But in the end you will have a fun car.

Cheers

Dave Massey