Ignition resistor?

To: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Subject: Ignition resistor?
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 13:36:40 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Kevin Rhodes
>I noticed a while back that one of the two wires leading into a little
finned  doohickey on my Spit was broken off. Didn't seem to affect
anything... I realized while figuring out the ignition timing in the Haynes

book last night that it must be what they call the ignition resistor. Is
this the same as a ballast resistor? My car has a Crane ignition system
with a Mallory Coil, do I even need to replace the resistor? Car ran fine
without the one lead attached, at least until the engine broke! Not
related, I hope! ;-)
<

This could be the ballast resistor bypass wire from the starter.  The car
will run the same without it.  Its only function is to aid in starting but
most cars start fine most of the time without it.

Dave