Re: The sticker is worth how much?

To: corey.sherman@RCN.COM, arakelianp@mossmotors.com
Subject: Re: The sticker is worth how much?
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 09:53:22 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated Tue, 11 Jun 2002  7:04:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
corey.sherman@RCN.COM writes:

> Certainly balancing business economics with a hobbist passion is a
> difficult task, but perhaps you need to broaden the focus/appeal. Consider
> making a set that addresses either a broader range of cars or models,
> and/or additional decals for other applications. I've seen on eBay a
> gentleman from Florida selling a reproduction set of decals (Item #
>1834984105) and he seems to sell a fair number at $30 or more.

But then we're faced with a situation where we're spending a fair amount of
money for a set of stickers, some of which aren't needed, and others of which
might be too "generic" to truly be appropriate. In fairness, I've not seen
these sets up close, but I'm pretty sure, for example, that the same model of
SMITHS heater was not used in MGA, TR4, Spitfire, Herald and whatever else. Not
all Lucas wire harnesses had that little yellow tape tag. Heck, not all Triumph
wire harnesses were even Lucas!

In the quest for "authenticity," at what point do we go beyond what was correct
and create our own image of same, in part because we weren't willing to pay
that last little bit extra to truly "do it right"?

Besides, some of those TRIPLEX or "resetting trip odometer" stickers were
slapped on crooked and blocked one's view. I'm just as happy that those
stickers either wore off long ago or were removed by the dealer before first
sale. ;-)

--Andy Mace