Re: The ultimate trailer hitch test

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The ultimate trailer hitch test
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 07:19:47 -0500
>The hitch is at a impossible angle for a rigid setup,

I don't know if this is a fake photo or not, but several years ago I
personally saw a mishap on an Interstate that would lead me to believe that
it is remotely possible.

I was driving across Illinois on I-88 on an extremely gusty windy day, the
kind when trucks and cars with trailers just can't keep it in one lane. I
came upon a passenger car and trailer that had just gone under an
underpass. It looked like the wind hit them hard after the underpass.

The trailer was laying on its side, the car was still upright, the car and
trailer were still hitched, and the car's rear end, including rear wheels,
were being held up off the ground by the hitch.

I was just astounded by the sight, since there are so many instances of
trailers coming loose from tow cars, and I know of several race cars
severely damaged because of that type of accident.