re: First 10 miles

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: First 10 miles
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 02:59:27 EDT
Hey David,
How about trying a step in between? ..like say straight 30 or 40 wt oil in
your dashpots..
The real SU juice and/or automatic tranny fluid (I think is 5-10 wt) and some
folks have good luck with 3in1 oil 'blue can' (20wt). These are probably fine
for the newer carbs but since this part of our older cars rarely get rebuilt
- thicker oil sounds right for starters.
In the old days the factory specified using straight weight of whatever was
in the motor for the dashpots - I could see 20, 30 40 or even 50wt but 90 -
wow! I think it WOULD effect your gas mileage.
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

I think you are right, I seem to get, almost, a stall condition. I will
refill tomorrow with some 90 weight oil that I am using in the spitfire. The
spit is reacting great to it so I might as well try it in the '3.
Thanks
David A. Templeton
'59 TR3a
'74 Spitfire