Re: TR6 cams

To: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@directvinternet.com>, "'Triumph list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 cams
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 23:36:57 -0400
> Kai,
> I visited Steve's site and wonder, since I'm not a mechanical
> engineer or a machinist, why a cam for a 289/302 Ford V8
> engine can be ground for $150, while a TR6 cam costs $312 to
> grind (with 4 fewer lobes)?  Good price on the lifters, though.
>
> Jim Davis

Well, why can you pick up high performance forged connecting rods  for a
Chevy V8 for $500 a set while they're close to $1000 a set for a TR6 which
also happen to be two rods fewer.

I think it is simply a matter of demand, and pricing according to demand and
materials cost.  I'd hedge a bet and say Steve sells many more American cams
than British cams and therefore can justify giving them lower pricing as his
overhead for those cams isn't as high either (I'm sure the blank cam billets
for a smallblock Chevy are quite a bit cheaper than say ones for a TR6).

OTOH, given that there are SO many cam profiles available for all the
popular American V8s, Steve may just offer off the shelf cams from other
companies for those engines... while his British cams are definitely custom
cut on blank billets by him.

Either way, Steve is one of those people that will work with you to get
whatever you want out of your motor.  Extremely knowledgeable, and
enthusiastic - especially when the customer is enthusiastic and inquisitive
also.  Steve was my choice for a cam when I was going to go all out with my
supercharger project... then of course I sold the car.

Yes, I do have an interest in seeing Steve stay in business.  As I just
stated, it is my personal opinion that he is very good at what he does.  I
would much rather see people from this list use Steve @ Integral Cams than
give Crower Cams / Crane Cams / Comp Cams or any of the larger national
custom manufacturers the business for a one off TR6 cam that they usually
aren't too interested in doing.  Although I will say that Crower's products
are also of high quality.

Kai