more questions/problems with the spit

To: "Bill Miller" <millerb@ivwnet.com>
Subject: more questions/problems with the spit
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 10:05:56 -0400
Cc: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Bill Miller"
>problemo uno - very low oil pressure - around 20PSI hot or cold?  Slightly
>higher (but not much) when cold.  Me thinks I did something bad when she
>overheated the first freeze plug go around.  Compression is still good at
>120-125 throughout.  Who knows what I must have done to the lower end.

Creo que el problema es el pressure relief valve.  A broken spring could
cause this.  The fact that the pressure is constant at 20 PSI hot or cold
suggests that it is not a problem with the bearings.  Another possibility
is a faulty gauge.  I have a gauge on my TR6 that won't go below 30 PSI
unless I tap on it.  Your gauge may have a mechanical hangup preventing it
from going past 20.

>problem dos - 12 volts at run, 11 volts (max) with headlights, no
highbeams
>at all now?, and when the turn signals blink, the volt gauge goes back and
>forth between 11-7 volts.  Fun, huh?  Bad generator?  Do they "loose"
their
>polarization?  Should I repolarize first?  Only drive during the daytime?

Absolutely!  Repolarizing costs nothing, causes no harm (unless you leave
the jumper hooked up indefinately) and may just very well solve the
problem.

If that doesn't solve the problem check all the wiring connections.  Then
you'll need to do some probing with a volt meter.   Check the voltage at
the D terminal on the regulator.  If it is near zero or 20 volts then the
regulator may have dirty contacts and a little cleaning with a point file
(or emery board) could fix it.

>problem tres - too rich at idle, too lean at 4500-5000.  Richened up - way
>to rich at idle, ok at higher RPMS.  Leaned out - good idle mixture (no
>fumes) - have to pull out the choke at 4k or so or she misses out.  What's
>that about??

I dunno.  Did you leave the piston springs out?  Float level too high?
Wrong needles?  Good luck on this one, I've never had this problem.

Cheers

Dave