TR4 starter/water valve

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 starter/water valve
From: "Sherman D. Taffel" <staffel@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 00:42:45 -0400
Hi Steve:

Just caught your note. When I lived in Pkla and car was 'new'
(1969-1970)(well-newer) I also had periodic startiung problems in 90-120^
weather.  Could be yu had some water drip on the starter or the solenoid,
but more likely are:  bad battery connections (hard to spot sometimes); a
cell going bad (shows up in the heat) bad connections at the solenpid itself
(battery tp solenpid, ignition to solenoid) and check that ground strap from
the engine to the crossmember bolt- make sure its dirt free and tight- also
wiggle the braided cable at the attachment eyelets. Make sure they are tight
- this was my problem - made me 'nuts'. The engine would spin like crazy
with the plugs out, put the plugs in- uh-uh. Kept pulling the starter and
having it tested- they kept saying its OK. And it tested ok on the ground -
but under load- no dice.

Check those connections, then get a 'Triumph Steak' at The Brown Palace..

Sherman
Columbia MD
CTR/TRAC
TR4 in 'surgery'!
(Thrust washers tested a tight .006, and oil pan gasket getting replaced).