Subject: TR4A Carb Selection

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Subject: TR4A Carb Selection
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 23:31:44 EDT
Dave,
After all the comparison stories of 'which was the better carburettor' - some
years ago when rebuilding both pairs of the SUs off my '63 122S Volvo and the
Strombergs off the '63 TR4 I purposely attempted to make a decision as to
which was a better carburettor. My attempt to favor one over the other
failed. They are so similar in build quality I just couldn't pick one - they
are both great! I have read that the Strombergs are more precise (especially
when factories were trying to reduce emmissions) due to the rubber
diaphrammed air piston Vs. the SUs precison fitted air piston. (need to
replace the diaphram every 5 years Vs. giving the SU air piston a good
cleaning)
I have tuned both many times and they are very similar to do. On your
particular car I believe SUs were the stock item .. and if it has the
'centered linkage' Vs. the 'side located linkage' one like my Strommies -
well that's two good reasons to go with the SUs in your case.
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74  with stock Zenith Strombergs

List,
I have a '65 TR4A which came with a set of SU and Zenith carbs complete with
linkages and manifolds. My question to the list is first what is the correct
type of carburation for my car, and which is easier to maintain? I need to
decide which set to send off for rebuilding.
Thanks,

Dave Connitt
Cincinnati, OH
'65 TR4A