Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels cn.com>

To: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net, "Alan" <asalvato@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Aftermarket Steering Wheels cn.com>
From: corey.sherman@RCN.COM
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 07:28:23 -0400 22, 2002) at 05/31/2002 07:28:24 AM, Serialize complete at 05/31/2002 07:28:24 AM
I purchased a flat 15" Moto-Lita Mark 3 Thin Slot wheel (coincidentally,
also from trshop.com.uk - at a great price). While the look of the wood
and metal rivets is quite nice, I found the overall quality to be far
lower than expected.

The selection and quality of the laminated wood is low; consider the solid
walnut or mahogany instead (may be better); also, keep in mind that the
color of the wood is very light, almost blond and will fade over time in
the sun.

The metal finish was most disappointing;  the "Polished" aluminium metal
had all sorts of scratches and was not as polished as shown in pictures,
nor as one would like - I could have done a better job on my own buffing
wheel. The factory suggested that I polish it out myself to address this
shortcoming.

The wheel feels very nice when driving - solid and not too thick around my
fingers - and the horn button options are nicely varied. I opted for black
hub and button with a 'triumph' button.

As for Lecarra,  I believe I read somewhere, they are the US relation of
Moto-Lita. Regardless, their wheels are almost identical, except for the
engraved signature, although I don;t think they offer a "thin slot"
version of the Mark 3. Considering the postage back to the UK, I decided
to lived with the low quality of my Moto-Lita rather than return it back
to the UK. I would think about the LeCarra given any customer service
issue could be more readily addressed being that they operate in Tennessee
(used to be Florida).

Finally, I would consider investing in a "premium" wheel such as Nardi
(great picture: http://store6.yimg.com/I/gomiata_1688_698450), before
recommending the Moto-Lita/LeCarra. But do prefer it over the Monterey
(which appear to be a thicker wheel). Talk to Randy Keller of Prestige
AutoWood - I recently purchased a new custom dashboard - this man know his
wood!

Lastly, Check out Moto-Lita new website:
http://www.moto-lita.com

Also:
http://www.lecarra.com
1-800-432-8170