RE: Blowing alternators -

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Blowing alternators -
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 07:54:32 -0700
Cc: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
>  This setup has been fine for many years now until  this incident -The
> electrical system appears to be in fine shape, no shorts, opens, unusual
> additions etc.  The ignition lamp is working, and the wiring is fine.  No
> additional loads have been imposed and at this point I'm beginning to
> suspect the battery however it's only a couple of years old itself and all
> cells full- but that's is all I can think of - unless you guys can come up
> with something else - When it goes the ammeter jumps around wildly between
> charging at a couple amps and many amps, and I can tell when because the
> heater fan motor rev's as the engine rev's increase meaning the regulator
> went and the voltage is increasing -
> Any ideas??

Barry, the #2 terminal on the Delco alternator is a 'sense' line.  If there
were a bad connection between it and the battery, the only symptom would be
charging problems as you describe.  I also once had a piece of metallic
swarf find it's way into the 'test' hole in the end housing of the
alternator on my Chevy, shorting the test tab to ground causing the
alternator to go to full output, but I can't imagine this would happen twice
in a row.

Randall