RE: TR6 ... gearbox in first - shifter in neutral

To: "- triumph \(E-mail\)" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 ... gearbox in first - shifter in neutral
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 07:38:03 -0700 o .com>
> Went to drop the TR6 into reverse yesterday and rudely found out
> that I had
> somehow managed to pop the shifter into neutral while the gearbox
> was still
> in 1st gear.
> Of course once you are in this situation the interlock prohibits moving to
> any other gear.
> I NEVER had this problem before I pulled the top of the gearbox off to
> repair a leak (replaced rear o-ring seals) so I doubt it is a worn shift
> lever.
> Any suggestions to people who have "been there, done that"?

Lee, I believe the design changed at some point during TR6, the later cars
have adjustable pins that the shift lever pivots on.  If your car is one of
those, the pins may not be adjusted properly, allowing the lever to twist
slightly.  The other possibility of course is that the cover was not
assembled properly after stripping it to replace those O-rings.  I can't
quite explain why, but if both balls and the pin are not in the proper
location in the interlock, it will occasionally wind up in gear with the
lever in neutral, like yours.  I've seen one where one of the interlock
balls fell out of place during assembly, and the pin through the 3-4 shaft
eventually gouged the housing and turned sideways, locking things in place
completely.  Not having the detents could also potentially cause this
problem.

My suggestion would be to remove the lever and use it to pop the tranny back
out of 1st gear.  I believe you can do this without removing the tunnel (but
I'm not certain about a TR6).  If it happens again, I'd pull the top cover
and strip it down again.  When you reassemble the cover, double check that
the detents work on all 3 rails, and the interlock locks the other two rails
in all 5 gears.

Randall