re: Tyres

To: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Subject: re: Tyres
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 08:54:39 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Scott Tilton
>When I bought one of my TR4s . . it had HUGE tires on the stock wheels.

<snip>

If I recall . . the tires were 205 75R 15

<snip>

Believe it or not . .the tires held on the rims okay.
<

That's not the problem putting overly wide tires on narrow rims.  The
problem is that the tread (and belts) will be pulled into a rounded shape
and will wear in the center faster than on the sides.  I know this from
running an MG in the 70's when the only 14 inch tires available (locally)
were for larger cars.

Well, that and rubbing the inner fenders.

Cheers

Dave Massey
57 TR3 (165R15's)
71 TR6 (205/70's on 5 1/2 wheels)