Need Info on TR7/8s

To: Richard Feibusch <rfeibusch1@earthlink.net>
Subject: Need Info on TR7/8s
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 14:30:24 -0400
Cc: "[unknown]" <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "[unknown]" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Richard Feibusch
>I am once again going to the lists for some help and ideas for my Triumph
>TR7/8 buyer's guide for British Car Magazine. This is what I'm looking
for:

>Good Points -
>why should someone want to have a TR7, what is its appeal??
>
>WE know that the TR8 is more in demand because of the V8 performance but
>what else appeals to buyers??

Well, let's see, there's styling.  People either like the wedge design or
they don't.  I know several people who don't like the car and will not own
one.  I, for one, do.  I always did since the 1975 when it was introduced
(I was driving an MG at that time) and I liked the convertible even better.
 Then there's creature comfort.  If you are accustomed to driving a TR4 or
6 you will be struck by the additional 8 inches of width.  You will no
longer be rubbing shoulders with your companion.  The heating and AC are
better and noise levels are less.

Then there's handling.  The TR7 was described as the best handing Triumph
out of the box.  And the TR8, with its power steering, steers like a
Spitfire.  The car just feels wider (it is) and the front and rear swaybars
make turns quite flat.  Turn-in on curves is impressive.  You can tweek the
suspension (I have upsized sway bars and KYB shocks) but the stock
suspension (with fresh shocks) works very nicely.  And all this without
compromizing the ride.

>Bad Points -
>What are these car's weakness areas?? - what should potential buyers be
>wary of??

The achillies heal of the TR7 was the engine.  The TR7 engine suffered from
a couple of shortcomings, one of which was (on the early engines) the
requirement to bleed the air from the cooling system when refilling.
Unknowing sevice operators would just top up the reservoir without bleeding
the head and the resulting airlock would cause head overheating and
warpage.  Additionally, head retorquing was often neglected causing head
gasket failures.

Another shortcomming is the brakes.  Not only are the front disk brakes
marginal but Rover/Triumph decided that a brake proportioning valve was a
good idea (it is ) and became overzealist in the amount of pressure
reduction to the rear wheels which means the marginal front brakes were
expected to carry a greater part of the braking duties.  (This can be
alleviated by recalibrating this valve.  I've done this and have suffered
from no braking issues what-so-ever)  It's interesting that Truimph went
from the Notoriously good TR6 brakes to the notoriously bad TR7 brakes.
But prudent use of the brakes coupled with downshifting and compression
braking (and a recalibrated proportioning valve) will lead to many happy
miles of driving pleasure.

>Any tips for finding a good one other than "bring more money?"
>
>How Cheap is Cheap??
>What are complete, running, restorable cars worth?? - You know, driving
>restoration projects. Are TR7 coupes only good for trading in for a small
>cheque and polution credits???  Will any rational person actually try to
>restore one?? How about TR7 roadsters??

I don't valuate cars.  I'm not in the market and do not follow it very
closely but in general, coupes are the cheapest.  They are also the best
handing cars so if you wish to build an autocross or race car I would
suggest starting with a coupe. As you stated, TR8's command the biggest
dollars (or pounds, or Euro's of sheckles or Yen...) because of the higher
horsepower motor.  Also due to the rarity - since only 2600 were made (of
which 3400 still exist (just kidding)).  But there is much overlap and a
good TR7 will go for more than a TR8 that needs attention.

Will any rational person try to restore one?  No.  (I should know, I
restored my TR8 a couple of years ago.)

>What do we know about modified TR7s??  I've recently talked to owners who
>are fitting everything from Rover V8s to twin turbo Nissan 300Z V6s and
>getting them through CA smog tests. One guy has fitted a Toyota 1600
>twin-cam and 5-speed - Is the rest of the car worth the bother.

A modified car may be worth more or less than the original depending on who
you are trying to sell it to.  Most folks who stuff in different engines do
so with no reguard for resell value (it is a hobby, after all) and when the
time comes to sell they might get luck and find someone who feels as thay
do in terms of the optimum engine for this car.  But odds are they won't
(unless they are very patient).  But the large engine bay on this car makes
it a good candidate for engien swaps.  There's not much that won't fit
(maybe an inline 6) and the lightness of the car makes for the potential of
good results.  Good handling is an added bonus.

>My personal experience was extended use of a friend's TR8 a number of
>years ago when the car was fairly new - I liked the car as a driver and
had no
>trouble with it but never warmed up to its looks - though it was plain at
>worst.  What do you think???

As I said before, you either like them or you don't.  It is all personal
prefference.  If logic prevailed we would all be driving MR2's or CRX's or
Probes.  But what kind of iconoclasts would we be if we did that?

Cheers

Dave