driving/fog lights

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: driving/fog lights
From: "Don Spence" <dspence@oanet.com>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 08:17:25 -0600
Doug
Does "Lucas Flame Thrower" sound familiar?

Fred,
Based on my experience in the dealership in the '50's we would try to sell
one each, driving light and fog light. It made a better sale and a balanced
look on the "badge bar" which we sold with it.
As a practical matter, when setting up, and later repairing serious rally
cars the experienced drivers all wanted two driving lights. The biggest
concern was enough total light.
There was, at one time also, a pair of driving lights, one of which had a
low
flat pattern and the other had a long range narrow beam.
Unfortunately the only name I can remember besides Lucas was Hella. I'm sure
there were others.
I guess the bottom line is to put together a combo that suits you. I don't
think there was ever a right or wrong way.
Doug Ross
Rosebud Racecar with Lucas Tripod bulb headlights and two long range Lucas
driving lights (damned little fog in my part of NC)