RE: Engine first start question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Engine first start question
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 05:46:09 EDT
Eric
You can start the motor but once the valve gear gets loaded with oil -  it
starts spreckling and misting oil. Starting with cold valve-gear (not
recently oil supplied) you'll probably get about a minute or two (not even
time to warm up motor) before spreckles start to appear on nearby manifolds,
distributor and wiring, hoses, etc.
Problem is those rocking rockers are really hypnotic and next thing ya know 5
minutes has gone by and your top end's been 'misted'!
Carl
'63 TR4 ..still in pieces
-----
I'm ready to start my rebuilt 4A engine for the first time but I won't have
the valve cover back from the chrome guy for another week.  Am I asking for
an engine bay full of oil if I start it without the valve cover, or is the
flow to the head low enough that it won't be a problem?
Thanks,
Eric Miller