RE: R&R Rear Tranny Seal?

To: "'Bob Fabie'" <rmf3860@erols.com>, "'David Delano'" <ddelano_98@yahoo.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: R&R Rear Tranny Seal?
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@directvinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 26 May 2002 15:53:51 -0400
Bob,
Mine leaked after the first replacement, so I tried again but this time
I used a bit of gasket sealant around the outside of the seal and I've
experienced no more leaks from this area. I guess imperfections in the
aluminum casting along with some minor gouges from the seal removal tool
were sealed by the sealant.
I drilled a large hole (for the socket to pass through) in a 2X4 and
then two smaller holes for the bolts to hold the flange to keep it from
turning. I don't think you can "shock" the bolt free unless the flange
or input shaft is secured when the tranny is off the car.

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO
CF37325U

I plan to replace my rear transmission seal next week. Here's how I
planned to do it, keeping in mind that it's out of the car.

I plan to "shock" the rear bolt off using my impact gun. I expect the
flange to come off as I don't believe it's pressed in. Replacing the oil
seal is straightforward remove, wipe clean, lube the new seal, install
in the proper direction, etc. To tighten the bolt, I plan to install a
couple of nuts and bolts in the flange to use as leverage when I torque
it back to specs.

That's how I plan to do it. Please let me know if you hear of a better
or more proper way.

Bob Fabie
'75 TR6