TR4 electrical ?

To: "'tim_purdy@hotmail.com'" <tim_purdy@hotmail.com>, "'ArthurK101@aol.com'" <ArthurK101@aol.com>
Subject: TR4 electrical ?
From: "Taffel, Sherman" <STaffel@bcps.k12.md.us>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 13:58:47 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Tim, Art, aficianados:

Usually in ANY BRITISH CAR - when both the fuel gauge and the temp gauge
stop working -if not the supply  fuse, the culprit is usually the voltage
stabilizer, found in the upper right footwell sidewall of a TR$, sorry TR4.
Check the connections, as well as the feeder fuse. The Voltage stabilizer is
a bimetallic gizmo that 'lowers' the 12V from the battery or 14v output from
the genreator/alternator to @ 10.0-10.5 v  and then feeds the gauges.

Folks whose voltage stabilizer has 'internally shorted' - have fuel gauges
and temp gauges that 'read high' - often 'scare-ing' people into thinking
the engine is running hot (lots of summer emotional discomfort);or causes
them to run out of gas when the gas gauge still reads almost 1/4 full.

VTR reprinted my article on voltage stabilizer syndrome in Fall 2001 #80,
originally in Capital Triumph Register "The Standard" in March 2001.
If you'd like a copy, I'll snail mail to you!

Sherman Taffel
staffel@comcast.net
'65 TR4
CT40054L