RE: temp gauge conversion

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: temp gauge conversion
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 10:45:44 -0700
> Can anyone walk me through the steps to convert the Jaeger
> electric gauge to replace my long dead mechanical one? I have
> both the gauge and sender, and have been told it is possible do
> this. I've also been told it's impossible!Thanks

Screw the sender into the thermostat housing where the old gage bulb went.
(If it doesn't fit, you may have to source a Tstat housing from a TR4, but
it looks to me like it will fit.)  Run a wire from sender terminal to one of
the gage terminals.  Run a wire from the other gage terminal to the load
terminal of the voltage stabilizer (which you'll also have to add).  The
load terminal is marked 'I' in my Haynes schematic but I don't know if they
all are marked this way.  Make sure the stabilizer is grounded, either the
'E' terminal if it has one or the case if it doesn't.  Connect the other
terminal (marked 'B' in the Haynes) to a source of fused, switched power
(the hot terminal on the gas gage is a good place).

Does anyone know if any of the aftermarket voltage stabilizers are
transistorized ?  I've never seen one, but that doesn't mean they don't
exist.  The original ones do not care about ground polarity, but a
transistor replacement might.

That's it.
Randall