Questions about the plastic fan

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Questions about the plastic fan
From: ebk <ebk@buffnet.net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 07:29:38 -0400
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 10:17:46 -0400
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Subject: Plastic fan i.d.

I have acquired a plastic fan that has the bolt pattern to fit on my 3a.
It has 8 blades and is a very pale yellow. Is this a 4 or 4a fan, or the
fabled tropical fan?
I hope to use it as it is so much lighter than the original metal one,
and looks like it might cool better. The centre part is definitely
thicker though so I don't know if it will fit between the fan extension
and the rad.
Any input?
Thanks,
Jim
---------
Hi Jim!
    I also am using this same fan.  [:-)]   I do Not believe that it is
the org. fan because I read [or some how got it into my head] that the
org. plastic fan had 6 blades & we have 8 blades. Therefore I believe
that it is the 'Tropical Fan'. I too do not NOT know for sure that it
will fit because this set-up came out of a '67 TR4/A back in '72. But I
do believe that mine will work because I've used all the parts that came
with it. QUESTIONS:
1- Does your fan have a plastic 'nub' [about 5/16" round] located on the
engine side which will match-up with the damper?
2- Is this 'nub hole' in the damper at the bottom [180 degree] of the
'pin hole' @ TDC?
3- Is your Damper 4 1/2" long?
4- Do you have only 3 holes [120 degrees apart] instead of 6 holes [60
degrees apart] in the Damper to secure the Crankshaft Pulley?
5- Do you only have a Large Washer that the Dog Bolt goes through & then
to the Fan & through the Damper & Pulley, & into the Crankshaft? In
other words: NO MORE HOLES to hold the rubber bushings that are found on
the 4 bladed metal fan? I'm VERY concerned about this question, because
I believe that this is what controls the engine's vibration, as talked
about in other TR Lists threads in the past. Now I do believe that this
is truly not a big concern if the engine doesn't go above  say 5,000 RPM's.
    Please get back to me about my questions, for this has been keeping
me awake at times. I know, I'm just a 'worry wart', but this is my 1st
true engine rebuilt & mega $Bucks [for me] has gone into this car &
engine. [:-[] -Cosmo Kramer
Hi List!
    I sent this off to Jim, but he hasn't had time to respond. So I'm
asking the list if they have any response to my questions? I am Concern
about this for reasons stated above, & I'm getting very close to the
'start-up' portion. TIA,
-Cosmo Kramer