RE: Bosch Alternator in TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Bosch Alternator in TR6
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 10:56:39 -0700
> I'm looking for someone with first hand experience putting a Ford Fiesta
> alternator in their TR-6.

I helped a friend put one in a 73 TR6, does that count ?

> Finally they list a Bosch unit that is "w/ External Regulator, w/
> 42, 55 Amp Alternator, Ford Type"
>
> External regulator?  Is that right?

No.  But their catalog may be a misprint.

> So what's the deal here?
> All those Fiestas had the same engine in them . . . will the
> alternators all
> mount up the same way?

My understanding is 'No'.  The Motorcraft is more common (A/C wasn't a real
popular option) and mounts differently, with different brackets bolted to
the same engine.  The Delco is likely a replacement for the Motorcraft, and
won't fit a TR6 either.

> Can I get the one that my Napa dealer has in stock . . or do I
> need to order
> the "Bosch" unit?

Drag your Lucas down to the store with you.  Take it off in the parking lot
if you have to.  Then compare it to the unit they have in stock.  My guess
is that the mounting points will be noticeably different, as will the
connector.

Randall