TR3 Tops

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3 Tops
From: bbrewer@qnet.com -bs
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 15:06:11 GMT
     Before anyone condemns me for heresy (driving a roadster in California
with the top up), let me explain that it snowed at my house at the 4500 foot
elevation on Monday night.
     Last night I took my first drive at excessive California freeway speeds in
the TR3 with the top up. Above 70 mph the top would come unsnapped at the
bottom just behind the passengers door and begin flapping in the breeze. The
top seems to fit well. Any suggestions?
     A trick I learned: It is a bitch to get the top bows in place with the top
snapped in position. It is also nasty to try to snap the top on with the bows
in place. My trick is I get the top snapped on, the bows mostly in place and
then drive 60 mph, the top kind of inflates and the forward bows move easily.
Works for me.
     Anybody else have any tricks for using the top, making it seal better,
etc.?
     I plan to re-do my factory steel hardtop this summer and insulate it for
next winter. I can't believe what Moss is asking for the "rear light" (hardtop
rear window). Something like $257! I might try to re-use my old brittle one or
seek alternatives. Anyone know any other sources?

     Bill Brewer
     Tehachapi, CA
     1960 TR3A TS72747LO