re: Valve spring compressor recommendation wanted

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Valve spring compressor recommendation wanted
From: Scott Tilton <sdtilton@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 09:35:57 -0700 (PDT)
I've got both types of valve spring compressors from Sears.

Yeah they are marginal, but they will work.
I've used both of them on both TR6 and TR4 heads during the past couple of
weeks.

The big "C" type is strong enough to compress the springs.
What it often isn't strong enough to do is to unseat the retainer from the
valve locks.

Put the compressor in place and give it a couple of clicks to put some pressure
on the spring.  If you crank it too much, the C will deform too much, it will
get cock-eyed and start falling off.

With a good bit of pressure on the spring. . . give the retainer a fair whack
with a block of wood or soft hammer.

That will free the valve locks from the spring retainer.
Put a few more clicks on the compressor and the spring will compress on down.

Good luck.

Scott Tilton
1970 TR6 everyday in Leesburg, VA