Re: 3a rebuilt engine seems tight

To: wallaces@superaje.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 3a rebuilt engine seems tight
From: "" <greenman62@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 14:29:30 +0000 FILETIME=[C0EA2AC0:01C2000A]
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
>To: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Subject: 3a rebuilt engine seems tight
>Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 10:13:52 -0400
>
>My newly rebuilt and never-run 3a engine, still on the stand, seems stiff
>to turn over. Since I don't know what's normal on a newly rebuilt engine, I
>tried it with a torque wrench and it's about 20 ft-lbs, increasing to about
>50 when on a compression stroke.
>Is this normal or is something too tight?

>Jim

   Have you gapped your valves yet? I know this sounds like a dumb
   thing but I assembled my engine about a year before my `4 was ready
   for it and didn't gap the valves at that time... In the interim I
   had forgotten that fact.

   After I installed the engine in the car engine wouldn't crank well
   at all. After I gapped the valves it cranked like normal. It's
   amazing how having to fight compression on all cylinders will slow
   things down.

   Good luck!

Greg Petrolati Champaign, Illinois       1962 TR4 (CT4852L)