3a rebuilt engine seems tight

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 3a rebuilt engine seems tight
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 10:13:52 -0400
My newly rebuilt and never-run 3a engine, still on the stand, seems stiff
to turn over. Since I don't know what's normal on a newly rebuilt engine, I
tried it with a torque wrench and it's about 20 ft-lbs, increasing to about
50 when on a compression stroke.
Is this normal or is something too tight?
Here are some details:
-new pistons, sleeves, and rings
-ring gaps were about 0.011-0.013" on 87.2 mm pistons
-new crank and big-end bearings
-new thrust washers with end-float in spec.
-new ?/bronze valve guides, reamed properly
-water pump and dynamo are on with the belt tensioned about right

Maybe this is OK and I've only ever turned over well-worn engines by hand.
If so, how long will it need to run before it seems "normal"?
Thanks,
Jim