TR7 air injection removal

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR7 air injection removal
From: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 20:27:25 -0400
Yesterday I traced down the source of a very annoying and loud
whistle/whine from the engine bay.  In weeks previous the
source of the noise could not be identified.  The pitch of the sound was
rather high and became non-directional with the hood open.
It was not loud enough to trace further.

Well, the noise got worse and I was easily able to identify the source as
the air injection pump.  This pumps extra air into the
exhaust manifold so the cat has something to oxidize with.

I removed the pump.  To my pleasure I did not need to follow the manual and
remove the fan to get the belt off.  I just skipped
it over each blade individually then forced it through the narrow gap
between the fan and the pulley coming directly off the crank.

The issue here is the air injection rail next to the exhaust manifold.  I
can easily loosen 3 of the 4 bolts than hold the individual little
metal pipes to the manifold, and I can probably get the last off easily
enough.

However I do not want any down time and I need to know the thread size,
pitch and length so I can block off the injection ports
immediately.  Does any one know this info?

For now I have taken one of the rubber air pipes from the removed
components and folded it over, clamped the fold and attached it to the
one-way valve.  This keeps it quiet.  Otherwise the clacking of the valve
is rather noisy.

-Tony